Saturday, December 1, 2012

Shopping Made Simple


Say you want to purchase some shoes. Imagine being able to hop on to your computer, pick out some nice kicks and then print them out in front of you. No shipping, no driving, no strain. You may want to read that over again. I know my mind was blown as well. 3D printing. It doesn't just do shoes either. You could potentially print out anything. I was ecstatic when I heard. I wanted one right away. Then I got to thinking, and I got a bit scared.

Not everybody is a good person. Some people are bad and others are terrorists. A terrorist having anything he can think of at the click of a button is pretty scary. 3D printing in the wrong hands could lead to mass destruction. I'm not sure I would trust a car that just appears in front of me either. If one screw doesn't get printed the car could be my death bed. Would groceries be safe to eat? Where is all this matter coming from? There is only a limited amount of energy on the planet. Hackers could abuse the system and get anything they want for free.

3D printing sounds exciting. I would love to own one. Unfortunately, some people don't just want one because they are too lazy to drive to the store. 3D printing would have to be highly regulated. Think gun regulation in the United States and then times that by ten. There are major issues that have to be accounted for before they can go on the market. Printing stations would be a lot safer. Why not go to the store if your'e going to have to drive anyway? It would make a lot more sense if each shop had it's own printer. Then stores would not have to wait for shipments. People could just walk in, tell the clerk what they want and voila, a brand new laptop. Time will tell what comes of 3D printing but I think it has potential to make our lives a lot easier.

Check It Out For Yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment