Saturday, December 1, 2012

Too Much Space on Your Time

If you asked me what man's greatest achievement is, I'd tell you space travel. There would be zero hesitation. It shows every kid that if you dream big enough and work hard enough you can do anything. Today, if you have the money you can go to space too. Soon there will be space hotels and in the distant future there will be space elevators. As exciting as leaving orbit sounds, I'd rather stay on earth.

Before I begin I feel obligated to confess my fear of heights. Even if I wasn't originally biased I would still be scared of space travel. We have yet to truly master leaving orbit. There is a reason NASA stopped sending people up. It's pointless risking lives when we can send drones. Risk aside, there are other reasons why I wouldn't want to make the voyage. It costs about 10,000 dollars to make the trip. I can't begin to describe the amount of things I would rather spend my money on. I could go on six other weeklong vacations. Vacations with zero risk, maximum comfort, and exotic beaches. Even if I was a billionaire I wouldn't want to go to space. There would be no point in risking my life and fortune. My whole issue with space travel is that people only want to go so they can say they have. Yeah, it might make you sound way cooler than me but I doubt you enjoyed yourself. I bet lift off sucked. You were paralyzed the whole way up. Probably terrified too. You got up there, saw earth and then it was time to head back. What else is there to do in space? I'd be the first one up if there was a resort on the moon. Maybe even an amusement park. You spent all that money so you could tell all your friends and family that you've been to space. Real cool man.

The day space travel becomes fun, I'll sign up. Well, the day space travel becomes fun and I can afford it, I'll go. Until then, I want no part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment